Menu Close

Getting Licensed

Interested in becoming a ham?

Are you interested in Amateur Radio? Wondering where to begin? The Amateur Radio Service is a Federally Licensed Radio Service requiring a license issued by the Federal Communications Commission. There are currently three license levels: Technician, General, and Amateur Extra.

To qualify for a license you must pass a written test. Tests are administered by certified Volunteer Examiners (VEs). The Yelm Amateur Radio Group has a pool of ARRL VEs to draw on and we offer testing sessions quartely. There is a $15 test fee to pay for materials and processing of tests. Cash or Check only.

Later in 2021 the FCC will begin charging a $35 license and renewal fee on all Amateur Radio Licenses. Details pending.

Upcoming Test Sessions

All Test Sessions are suspended until further notice due to COVID-19.

If you wish, you may bring a copy of the NCVEC form already filled out.

489 downloads 1.0 Chris Kennedy 2018-08-05 7:33

Test Preparation

There are many resources available to help you in preparing for your test.  Whether you learn best by reading books, taking practice tests, or watching videos, there is something out there you can use to learn what is needed to pass the test.  The Technician and General tests are 35 questions each, with a passing score of 26.  The Amateur Extra test is 50 questions, with a passing score of 37.

While CW (Morse Code) continues to be an extremely popular mode of operation on the ham bands, demonstration of proficiency with Morse code is no longer required to receive an Amateur Radio License.

Links to useful information